The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved projects worth about N540 billion for the upgrade of the National Hospital, Abuja, and the construction of a new cancer research and treatment centre.
The Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Ali Pate, disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents after Wednesday’s FEC meeting.
Pate said the investment was aimed at moving the National Hospital towards becoming a quaternary healthcare institution, capable of handling highly specialised and complex medical cases.
According to him, the hospital, which was established about 25 years ago, had not received enough investment in infrastructure and equipment to fully achieve its original purpose.
He said the latest approvals followed President Bola Tinubu’s directive to improve healthcare infrastructure and equipment across the country.
FEC approves projects for National Hospital
Pate said FEC approved N18.74 million for the refitting of the hospital’s administrative and management block, with Visible Construction Limited awarded the contract.
Another N64.92 billion was approved for the construction of modular clinics and a theatre complex. The project was awarded to Strabbing Construction Limited.
The minister said the new facilities would provide specialised clinics and theatre services for different medical specialties.
He added that the council approved N103 billion for the construction of another wing of the hospital, to be handled by CBC Global Civil Construction Limited.
The project, he said, is expected to be completed within 24 months.
N69bn Neuroscience Institute approved
The council also approved N69 billion for a Neuroscience Institute at the National Hospital.
Pate said the institute would provide specialised services in neurosurgery, radiology, interventional procedures and rehabilitation.
The facility is expected to support the treatment of conditions including stroke, brain tumours and other diseases affecting the brain and nervous system.
Explaining the scale of the investment needed in the health sector, Pate said, “Quality healthcare is not cheap. To have the healthcare system we need, Nigeria has to invest in it.”
N302.3bn cancer centre gets approval
The biggest approval announced by the minister was a N302.3 billion contract for a new National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (NICRAT) centre.
The contract covers the design, construction, furnishing, equipping, supervision and inauguration of the facility. CBC Global Civil and Building Construction Nigeria Limited was awarded the contract, with a 36-month completion period.
Pate said the centre would strengthen Nigeria’s capacity in cancer research, treatment, innovation and professional training.
He described the planned facility as a flagship national institution for cancer research and treatment.
The minister also said provisions for the project had already been made in the 2025 and 2026 budgets.
Government explains funding
Pate clarified that the National Hospital and NICRAT projects are being funded through appropriations approved by the National Assembly for the relevant agencies and institutions.
He said the funding was not being provided directly through the Federal Ministry of Health.
The minister said the priority now was to ensure that the approved projects were completed and delivered to Nigerians.
“Our goal is to ensure that they are executed, and that Nigerians can be able to see a transformation of the National Hospital, as well as a befitting cancer centre here at NICRAT,” Pate said.
Share this



